Saturday, February 28, 2009

Intro Blog

Why am I doing this? A few reasons...my 11 year old son has been playing hockey for 4 years. That means 4 years of driving to practice, waiting, and then driving home. Some may say "so" and this is a valid response. What I am doing for my little bundle of joy is nothing more (or less) than any other mom or dad would do for their offspring. The thing is...I get bored. Yes. There. I said it. I know my son is having fun but guess what - I'm not. Driving to the various practices and then sitting through them is not my idea of a good time especially after working all day. I do it for the love of my child and because of that I try to come up with various ways to entertain myself. My past activities have included running, knitting, reading, crossword puzzles, walking, grocery shopping and sometimes I actually watch the practices.

We have just completed year 4 of hockey. Notice I didn't say season because to me, that is such a broad term when it comes to hockey. In my opinion, the hockey year consists of various teams: travel team, all-star team, spring team, summer team. These teams just cycle and recycle every year with a few weeks rest in between. But it's not really rest because there is Stick & Puck, drop ins, lessons, various clinics and camps and tryouts for the teams. So really, the only true time designation is the year which for us runs from August to August. Right now we are in between the travel and all-star teams. I have decided that for this new team, I am actually going to make an attempt to watch the practices and maybe try to learn something. A feat in itself considering I'm pretty sure that I was born without the "hockey knowledge" gene. I figure that by doing this blog, I will somehow hold myself accountable.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment